Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Adjustment of Status | What to Know

When individuals wish to live or work in the United States permanently, they work toward permanent residency. If applicable, their adjustment of status will help them accomplish this while already within the borders of the United States. Once a person achieves permanent residency, he or she can obtain a Green Card, the document that establishes residency. Read on to learn more about adjustment of status and how to obtain a Green Card.

Qualifications for Adjustment of Status

When foreign individuals wish to apply for permanent residency, they are required to meet certain qualifications in order to do so. To apply, this individual must live in the United States and fall under one of the categories of eligibility. Individuals are allowed to apply for a Green Card through the following categories:

  • Family-based: If the individual applying for permanent residence is an immediate relative of a United States citizen, he or she does not have to wait for a visa. Immediate relatives who are eligible for a Green Card include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21. There is also no limit to the number of visas that can be issued for family members of a citizen, but there are limits within other categories. 
  • Job or employment-based: Individuals who want to become immigrants due to employment or a job offer can apply for permanent residency. It is important to note that there are a limited amount of visas that may be issued in this category.
  • Refugee or asylum: Individuals who were admitted to the country as a refugee or were granted asylum are able to apply for permanent residency. They may do so one year after they entered the country. Qualifying spouses or children of refugees and asylees may do so as well.  
  • Special programs

What Does the Process Entail?

When it comes to adjusting your status, the process can take a long time, and there are many requirements that one must meet to obtain a Green Card. Some of the requirements include the following:

  • Attend a biometrics appointment and/or medical exam
  • Submit to a criminal background check
  • Interview with a USCIS agent

If you are interested in adjusting your status, it is best to contact an experienced immigration attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you and walk you through the process, every step of the way.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.