Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

How can I get citizenship through my parents?

One of the questions that is frequently asked is regarding whether an individual can obtain citizenship through his or her parents. There are many situations where an individual actually can become a United States citizen through their parents. Here are some of the ways one can obtain citizenship for their child.

  • If both parents are citizens of the United States at the time the child is born, they are married, and at least one of the parents actually lived in the U.S. or a territory before the birth, the child can obtain citizenship.
  • If one of the parents is a U.S. citizen at the time the child was born on or after November 14, 1986, the parents are married, and the citizen parent had been in the U.S. for at least 5 years before the child was born.
  • If the parents are not married at the time the child is born, the mother must be a U.S. citizen with a birth date after December 23, 1952, and the mother had previously been in the U.S. for at least a year.
  • If the parents are unmarried at the time of the child’s birth and the genetic father is a U.S. citizen, the child was born on or after November 14, 1986, and a blood relationship was established with the child

If you have questions about establishing citizenship, contact our firm today.

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.