Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

How can I obtain a student visa?

Leaving for college is a very exciting time in a young adult’s life. They are finally able to explore on their own while living away from their parents. As a college student, they are faced with many opportunities in front of them and a bright future. However, some students first need permission to attend college. Not from the university itself, but from the United States. Some students are from other countries where they need permission to enter into and reside in the U.S. to pursue their education. In order to do so, you need to be permitted to have a student visa. If you are trying to acquire a student visa, contact our professional attorneys for guidance along the way. We want to ensure you are provided the opportunity to pursue a higher education in order to better prepare for your future and achieve your goals.

A student visa depends on what type of school someone wishes to attend. If you plan on attending a university, college, high school, seminary, conservatory or private elementary school, you may be granted an F visa. Those who wish to attend a vocational or other non-academic institution should apply for the M visa.

Eligibility for a student visa is based on a few factors. First, you must apply and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor program approved school. Then you will have to choose which visa to apply for through the I-20 form, the F or M student visa. The student visa should be requested through an embassy, consulate or online. When the application is completed, an interview must be scheduled. However, an interview may not be necessary for some individuals. It depends on the age of the applicant. Those under 13 or over 80 may not have to attend an interview, but that is based upon the decision of the consular officer.

When preparing for the interview, certain documents must be presented. Documents that may be required are a passport that will be valid for six months past the stay period, an application fee receipt, Form I-20, a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1, a photo and a nonimmigrant visa application. Other documents that may be asked to be reviewed can be related to the academic history of the applicant. This can include transcripts, diplomas, degrees or any certificates.

The interview will decide if the applicant receives the visa that they desire. If you are approved, you will have to pay the fees and wait to receive your visa.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.