Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
child with backpack

How do I Get a K2 Visa?

If you are someone who recently received a K1 visa as a fiance of a United States citizen and have a child, you will now have to get your child a K2 visa, which essentially allows your child to also obtain legal status here in the United States. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey family immigration attorney to learn more about K2 visas, how we can help you obtain one, and what the legal process ahead looks like. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Does my child qualify for a K2 visa?

For your child to qualify for a K2 visa, you must already be a holder of a K1 visa. Furthermore, your child must be under the age of 21 and unmarried. As long as you are marrying someone who is already a U.S. citizen, your child should qualify for the K2 visa. However, just because you obtain a K2 visa for your child, it does not automatically award your child permanent residency here in the United States. That is why as soon as you marry your fiance who is a U.S. citizen, you will have to file an application, on behalf of your child, to register that child’s permanent residence to change his or her immigration status.

What documentation will I need to obtain a K2 visa for my child?

You and your child’s name will go on the petition, wherein you will have to include the following information as well:

  • A duly filled in Form DS-160
  • A passport
  • A copy of your child’s birth certificate
  • Sponsor documents
  • Medical exam results from an Embassy-accredited physician
  • A completed Form I-134
  • Affidavit of Support

How do I get a K2 visa for my child?

After submitting all of the aforementioned documentation, you will be interviewed either at an Embassy or at the US Consulate. As long as your petition is approved, it will be transferred to the National Visa Center, to the US Embassy/Consulate in your location, and once it is approved, you will receive the date and time of your interview. Keep in mind that once your child is granted a K2 visa, you will have to get married within 90 days, for if you do not, your child will most likely be deported within 120 days of being granted the visa.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.