Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

What is consular processing?

Consular processing is used by immigrants from other countries in order to acquire a visa to enter the United States. A visa can give them access into the country and grant them permission to reside and work here. This process can be beneficial for those that want to move to the U.S. from a foreign country since they will be allowed to live in the U.S. permanently. They may be able to pursue their goal of acquiring a status as a resident and continuing on with their lives in America without an expiration date.

Am I eligible?

To be considered for consular processing, applicants must be eligible before applying. To apply for consular processing, you must have a familial or working relationship in the United States and be able to establish this relationship with proof. In addition to these situations, you may also apply for refugee, asylum status or another provision that allows you to enter the country. Immigrants that have a sponsor due to familial or employment ties can have a petition filed on their behalf by the individual who is sponsoring them. Based on which category you fit into, you may be eligible to file your own petition to request entry into the United States. When your application for consular processing is approved by the USCIS, it will be sent to the Department of State’s National Visa Center for further review. Upon approval, you should wait for a visa number to become available for you. During this time, you may have to pay visa application fees and also may be required to provide supporting documents that are asked of you.

An interview with the consular office will be scheduled where you are questioned about your eligibility to become a U.S. resident based on this process. The final decision will be made to guarantee or deny your eligibility to live in the country as a permanent resident. If the final decision gives you access to acquire a visa and reside in the U.S., you will need to pay the USCIS immigration fee. Then you will be provided with a visa packet that will be opened by U.S. Customs and Border Protection upon your arrival in the country. If you are admitted into the U.S., you will be considered a lawful permanent resident, meaning that you are allowed to live and work in the country on a permanent basis. Your green card must be on you at all times to provide documentation of your status.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.