Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
passport and visa

Employment Immigration in the United States

Many people throughout the world wish to come to the United States for a variety of reasons. One of the most popular reasons an individual would come to the country is for the opportunity of employment. In order to come into the United States legally, one must be a citizen or hold a visa stating their reason for entering the country. There are many different types of visas that a foreign individual may attain in order to come to the United States for employment.

H-1B Visas

The H-1B visa is one of the most commonly sought employment visa in the United States. The H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows employers within the country to temporarily hire foreign nationals in “specialty occupations.” This covers fields that require specialized knowledge. This may include professions in sciences, education law, mathematics, engineering, and more. The visa is issued for three years but can be extended for three more.

L-1 Visas

An L-1 visa is used by foreign individuals who are seeking a temporary status for employment. It is used for individuals who are filling an executive or managerial position in addition to those who have expert knowledge that is necessary for certain fields. There are two types of L-1 visas:

  • L-1A: This visa is reserved for executive and managerial positions. This visa holder is allowed to work in the country for up to 7 years.
  • L-1B: This visa is reserved for those with important knowledge that is out of the ordinary in certain professions. This visa holder is allowed to work in the country for up to 5 years.

Investor Visas

Also known as treaty visas, the investor visa allows for trade between countries. With an investor visa, an investor may enter the United States as a self-employed individual. With this visa, you are able to bring your family to the country as well and they may be eligible for employment during the period of stay. There are two different types of investor visas:

  • E-1: This visa is reserved for an employee of a treaty trader. They must hold a supervisor position and show exceptional skill or experience.
  • E-2: This visa is reserved for investors of enterprises. The applicant must be in the process or already invested in a U.S. enterprise.

Both visas last 5 years and may be renewed every 5 years.

Temporary Work Visas

A temporary work visa allows a foreign individual to take a job within the country for a limited period of time. There are several different types of temporary work visas depending on profession. This includes but is not limited to:

  • H-1B visa for specialty workers and fashion models
  • H-1C visa for registered nurses
  • H-2A visa for agricultural workers
  • H-2B visa for non-agricultural workers
  • H-3 visa for trainees and special education visitors
  • I-1 visa is for foreign media
  • O visa for individuals with extraordinary achievements in a certain field
  • P-1 visa for athletes and entertainers
  • P-2 visa is for artists in exchange programs
  • P-3 visa is for artists with the purpose of teaching or performing
  • Q-1 visa is for individuals who participate in cultural exchange programs

PERM Visas

PERM visas help guide individuals towards becoming a permanent resident in the United States. This allows the individual to have a green card that permits them to live and work in the country indefinitely. This holds true with or even without a naturalization process.

Contact Our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for a visa to enter the United States, contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC. today.Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.