Student Visa

Lyndhurst Student Visa Lawyer

Guiding clients through student visas

Lachende afrikanische Studentin mit Freundin in der StadtFor a person to enter the United States to live and work, he or she must generally obtain a visa. These people have the choice between a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stays or an immigrant visa for those with the goal of becoming citizens. For a person to study in the United States temporarily, they must have a student visa. If you are interested in attending one of our country’s academic institutions, the student visa that applies to you will depend on the type of school you wish to attend and the course of study that interests you. An F visa is for individuals who will attend a university, college, high school, seminary, conservatory or private elementary school. The M visa is saved for individuals that will attend a vocational or other nonacademic institution. To protect yourself from issues that can impact your education, it is important to discuss your case with an experienced attorney. If you need quality legal support through the process of attaining a student visa, contact Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC.

Eligibility and application

To be considered eligible for a student visa, the candidate must first apply and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program approved school. Once completed, the individual can apply for an F or M student visa through a form I-20. If the applicant has children that will also be attending American schools, they will each need their own I-20s. The applicant will have to request a student visa through an embassy, consulate, or online. Once he or she finishes the application, it will be time to schedule an interview. The requirement for the interview depends on the age of the individual. Those who are under 13 or over 80 usually are not interviewed, though it is contingent on the discretion of the consular officer.

Gathering documents for the interview

It is important to gather documents for the interview. Some of the many documents that are required include:

  • A passport that will remain valid at least 6 months past the period of stay (with some exceptions)
  • A Form DS-160 confirmation page (nonimmigrant visa application)
  • An application fee receipt
  • A photo unless attached to the DS-160
  • A certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1
  • Form I-20  

In addition to the documents listed above, the interviewee may be required to provide documents related to his or her academics, including:

  • Transcripts
  • Diplomas
  • Degrees
  • Certificates

Lastly, the applicant may be required to provide standardized test scored mandated by the U.S. school, declare an intention to leave after the schooling is over, and provide evidence of how they will pay for schooling, housing, and travel costs.

The interview

The interview is where the consular officer decides if the applicant should be issued a visa and what kind of visa applies. The applicant may have to prove that they meet the requirements. In addition, the applicant may be subject to a fingerprint scan. Once approved, the applicant will pay the fees and wait for the visa. It is always best to start and complete this process early because the USCIS is always busy and it can take a while to get a response.

Contact a Bergen County attorney with student visa experience

In order to protect your ability to engage in one of America’s academic institutions, it is best to retain the legal support of an effective law firm. Our firm is ready to assess your situation and help you navigate immigration laws of the United States. If you need quality legal services of an experienced immigration attorney, contact Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC.