Green Card

Lyndhurst Green Card Immigration Lawyer

Guiding NJ clients through the immigration process

Gavel on Social Security IDA green card is for those who are in the process of becoming a lawful permanent resident of the United States. A green card provides the holder immigration benefits and is permitted to reside within the United States and take employment within its borders. If you are interested in becoming a permanent resident of the United States, you need to satisfy some requirements to obtain a green card. Family-based immigration depends on your familial ties, immigration status, and immigration history. Otherwise, you need to fit another category that establishes your eligibility. If you are interested in sponsoring an individual, you have a lot to consider. If you are interested in obtaining a green card or sponsoring someone else, contact Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC for a consultation. Over our many years of service, we understand how important the acquisition of a green card is to the life of non-citizens and we are honored to be of service.


In order obtain a green card or sponsor another person, it is good to know what makes a person eligible. Some of the categories that make a person eligible for a green card include family, employment, refugee or asylum, and special programs. Some of the more notable special programs as of late include humanitarian causes, including the Cuban Family Reunification Parole Program, the Haitian Family Reunification Parole Program, and protection through the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000. Many of these special programs were established to protect individuals impacted by foreign tragedies and hardships. These programs allow these victims to become eligible for permanent residency.

Sponsoring another person

U.S. citizens are allowed to apply for a green card based on familial ties. They can sponsor their spouse, child or parent as long as the applicant has entered the country legally, even when they overstay their temporary visa. They can apply for an adjustment of status and there is no waiting list. These cases can be resolved in as little as four months. U.S. citizens are able to sponsor their adult children (21 and Up) and their siblings for green cards with the stipulation of a waiting list and a limited number of allowed petitions per year. There are exceptions for those who filed a petition with the USCIS or Department of Labor prior to April 30, 2001. It is important to discuss this matter with an attorney. If a person entered the United States illegally or filed an application before April 30, 2001, they may be qualified for a provisional waiver.

Conditional residence

Those who recently received a marriage-based green card and have been married for less that two years must file to remove the condition that applies to the green card within 90 days of the card’s expiration. The couple may be asked to provide evidence of a bona fide marriage, so having documentation and proof is best.  In some cases, marriages don’t work out. When this happens in the midst of the process, it is important to consult with an attorney about the situation.

Contact a Bergen County law firm with green card experience

Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC is a legal resource for those who need to obtain a green card or want to sponsor a person for a green card. For over 20 years, Attorney Falletta has helped guide numerous people through the process of becoming a lawful permanent resident. If you or a loved one are interested in knowing more about the process of obtaining a green card or need an attorney to represent your needs, contact Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC.