Adjustment of Status

Lyndhurst Adjustment of Status Attorney

Guiding New Jersey clients through their adjustment of status

passport-315266_960_720-300x241When people wish to work or live in the United States permanently, they will work towards permanent residency. If applicable, their adjustment of status will help them accomplish permanent residency while already within the borders of the United States. Once a person achieves permanent residency, they are required to carry their green card, the document that establishes residency. If you are interested in the process of adjusting your status, you must reside within the United States and satisfy certain criteria. The process is complicated and document-heavy. It is important to contact an attorney to guide you. If you need an effective and knowledgeable attorney to help you navigate the process of adjustment of status, contact Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC to discuss you case.

Am I eligible?

If you are interested in adjusting your status, you may be wondering if you are eligible. There are many reasons that would make you eligible for an adjustment of status, including employment, family connections, refugee or asylum or special programs, including humanitarian causes. If you wish to adjust your status and believe that you fit into one of these categories, contact our firm for more information.

What are the benefits?

One of the benefits of engaging this process is the ability to file for an adjustment of status alongside immediate family green card petitions. Furthermore, while your application is being processed, you can stay in the United States, apply for employment authorization, and appeal a denied application without being forced to leave.

The process

To adjust your status takes time. You may have to wait anywhere from a few months to over a year to complete the procedure. You may have to attend a biometrics appointment where they collect information about you through fingerprints, photographs, and, in some cases, collect DNA. This is normally the case for people from developing countries that do not have birth certificates, documentation, and other situations of inconsistency. In most cases, you will be subject to a medical exam that includes reviewing immunizations, mental or physical disorders, and inspecting for communicable diseases. In addition, you may be subject to a formal investigation into your background. They will conduct a criminal background check. There are certain crimes that will bar you from being able to complete your adjustment of status, preventing you from citizenship. If the petition is from the spouse of a U.S. Citizen, the resident may also be interviewed and may be required to provide evidence of a bona fide marriage. If you were to leave the United States while your application is pending, it could have negative consequences. Visas are limited. You may not get a visa number for many years after the process is complete.

Contact a Bergen County attorney with adjustment of status experience

Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC is honored to be of service to those who would wish to achieve permanent residency. If you are lawfully within the United States and need the assistance of an attorney to guide you through the process of status adjustment, contact our firm. Once you adjust your status, you could be well on your way towards citizenship.