H-1B Visa

Lyndhurst H-1B Visa Attorney

Assisting clients through work authorization matters

Passport and US VisaIf you are interested in entering the country on a work permit issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), there are many factors to consider. A work permit allows a person to legally enter the United States to take employment. Certain foreign nationals can use form I-765, an application for employment authorization, to request permission to work in the United States. Employment authorization is temporary and is for a limited and specific period of time. One of the most common temporary work visas is the H-1B visa. If you are an employee who wishes to enter the United States to work or an employer that hopes to bring an employee into the country, contact Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC to discuss your legal matter.

H-1B Visa

One of the most common work authorization is through the H-1B visa. The H-1B is a nonimmigrant visa that temporarily allows employers across the country to employ foreign nationals in specialty occupations. “Specialty occupations” is defined as the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a certain technical field. In most cases, for this to be applicable, a person must have a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in work experience. Some of the many occupations that fall under this category include:

  • Physical sciences
  • Social sciences
  • Medicine and health
  • Education Law
  • Accounting
  • Biotechnology
  • Architecture
  • Engineering
  • Mathematics

To begin, the H-1B visa will be issued for a three-year period but can be extended for an additional three years. The H-1B limits an employee to work for one specific employer. If a person is fired or quits a position on an H-1B visa, they are required to leave the United States and return to their country of origin.

An H-1B visa can take quite a while to receive. If a prospective employee has not received notice within 90 days of receipt of the application, interim authorization may be issued. An interim authorization can last up to 240 days. If you are having issues related to your H-1B visa application, contact an attorney.

The H-1B visa is a powerful tool for those who seek citizenship. While here on the visa, one can navigate the path towards naturalization under the doctrine of dual intent. With the right attorney and through the cooperation of the employer, an employee can be well on their way to becoming a citizen of the United States.

Contact a Bergen County attorney with H-1B experience

Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC has over 20 years of experience assisting clients through I-765 work authorization and H-1B visa matters. If you are facing legal matters related to your temporary work visa or need guidance through the dual intent doctrine, contact Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC. Our firm is ready to assess your situation, guide you through your legal options, and effectively represent your needs.