Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

How do I adjust my status to be a citizen?

Those who are not legal citizens of the United States may have the option to adjust their status to be granted citizenship. This opportunity can be a big deal to some individuals. It may be something they have wished for for their whole lives. When the opportunity comes, they will want to take this chance. This process can be quite grueling and long due to the amount of steps involved. However, it can be worthwhile in the end. To adjust your status, you will have to file a petition for the adjustment of your status.

What steps are next?

Individuals must file the petition for adjustment first then they will have to go through specific steps to be approved. These steps can include biometrics, a medical examination and a formal interview. Biometrics is a process to identify individuals and their history. There needs to be a criminal background check based on your identity. During a biometrics appointment, individuals will need to get fingerprinted and photographed to prove their identity. If applicants are from developing countries and do not have the proper documentation to prove their identity, their DNA may be taken to make up for this lack of documentation. If the applicant is married to a U.S. citizen, they may have to validate their marriage through proof of documentation.

Other aspects of the process include a medical examination and a formal interview. The medical exam is in place to rule out any communicable diseases that you could be carrying. During this exam, there will be a review of your immunization records and any physical or mental disorders stated in your medical history. The interview process is something that an immigration attorney can prepare you for.

What can jeopardize my petition?

The process that you go through to adjust your status can be affected by crimes on your record. It can delay or prevent the process from occurring. It could bring the process to a halt so that you are unable to adjust your status. If you decide to leave the U.S. during the period of time when your application is pending then this may negatively impact the process. It may be best to remain in the country to not interfere with the completion of the process.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.