Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

How to Get a Green Card in the United States

People around the world want to come to the United States for several reasons. It may be for family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, and more. When a foreign individual wishes to enter the United States, they are required to have the proper documentation. In order to have permanent residence status, they must apply for the United States Permanent Resident Card, also known as a “Green Card.” It is called a Green Card in reference to its color. This allows a foreigner to come to the United States to live and work permanently in the country. If you wish to apply for a Green Card, an experienced attorney in Bergen County can guide you through the process.


Immigration laws in the United States allow foreigners to apply for Green Cards in a few different ways. When applying for one, an individual is required to meet certain criteria in order to be eligible. The applicant must fall under one of the following criteria categories in order to apply:

  • Family-Based: This green card is for immediate U.S. relatives. It may include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21.
  • Job or employment-based: This green card is available to those who wish to become immigrants for a job offer or employment in the United States.
  • Refugee or asylum: This green card is available to immigrants who came to the United States as refugees or a spouse/child of a refugee. They are able to apply for a Green Card one year after they came to the country. Those who are granted asylum or a spouse/child of an asylee have the same option.
  • Special programs

The Process

It is important to understand that the Green Card process can be very long. Applying and being approved can take months or even more than a year. The process is long and requires great patience. During the process, the applicant’s character is studied and their identity must be verified. An immigration officer will also conduct an interview with the applicant. If an individual is petitioning for a Green Card as a spouse, they must provide the immigration officer with proof of a legal marriage.

The majority of Green Card applicants must have an affidavit of support. This is a form filled out by a sponsor on their behalf during the application process. By filling out the form, the sponsor takes financial responsibility for the applicant by proving they will be able to support themselves when they are admitted to the country as a permanent resident. This ensures the applicant will not rely on welfare or any of the country’s other benefits if they are approved for a Green Card.

Contact our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for a Green Card to enter the United States, contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC. today.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.