Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
husband wife wedding

Naturalization for Spouses of US Citizens

If you are the permanent resident spouse of a United States citizen and are curious about your eligibility for naturalization, there are a few things you should know. The Immigration and Nationality Act states that if you have been a permanent resident with a valid green card for at least 3 years and you have been married to the same spouse throughout that time, you may qualify. There are also a number of other eligibility standards that you may have to meet.

In order to qualify for naturalization as the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you will have to pass the same English and civics tests as any other person applying to become a naturalized citizen. Over the course of the three year period that you must have been a permanent resident, you must have actually been in the United States for at least 18 months. If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen who is stationed abroad in the military or is abroad with another qualified employer, you do not have to meet the 18-month requirement of being physically present within the country.

In addition, spouses of U.S. citizens who live abroad must have a green card but they do not have to meet the 3-year permanent residency requirement.

There are a number of other requirements that the spouse of a U.S. citizen will have to meet if they would like to become a citizen. If you have any questions about naturalization, contact our firm today for quality legal assistance.

If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance