Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

November 2018 to Mark End of Temporary Protected Status for Sudan

The Department of Homeland Security recently determined that current conditions in Sudan no longer support their Temporary Protected Status designation.  Benefits for beneficiaries of Sudan TPS are extended for 12 months to allow for a smooth transition.  The deadline for the termination of the designation is set for November 2, 2018.

How Should Current TPS Beneficiaries Proceed?

Any beneficiary of Sudan TPS should seek to extend their status by re-registering. If an individual re-registers and requests a new employment authorization document (EAD), he or she may receive an automatic extension of their EAD.  This extension would be for up to 180 days from the day their current EAD expires.  If the request is approved, their new EAD will have an expiration date of November 2, 2018.  Beneficiaries are encouraged to apply as early as possible in order to avoid any potential lapses in employment authorization.

Can TPS Beneficiaries Still Hold Other Immigration Status?

Although TPS benefits will no longer be available as of November 2, 2018, TPS beneficiaries can still hold onto any other immigration status they may have acquired while registered for TPS.  Those beneficiaries who do not hold any other immigration status are encouraged to apply for any other immigration benefits for which they may be eligible.  It is important that applications are submitted prior to the effective date of the termination.

Immigration issues are sensitive and may require a lot of work and follow-up.  It is important to keep track of deadlines and safely store documentation regarding your immigration status.  Following the processes outlined by the USCIS can help your process go smoothly.  If you have questions about your immigration status or how to apply for immigration benefits, you should consult with an experienced immigration law attorney.

If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance