Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
engaged couple hands

Obtaining a Fiance Visas in the United States

Citizens of the United States who are engaged to a non-citizen are able to bring their fiance to the country under the lawful circumstances. Doing so legally requires the individual to apply for a visa for their entry to the United States so that they may be married and live within the country. This visa is called a K-1 visa, but it is more commonly known as a fiance visa. When a fiance is granted a K-1 visa, they are required to marry within 90 days of entering the country. If they fail to do so, they must leave the country within 30 days. Maintain this status can lead to many benefits for an immigrant. Once the couple is married, the immigrant can apply to adjust their status and become a permanent resident of the United States with a Green Card.


In order for a couple to apply for a fiance visa, there are certain requirements they must meet. An important qualification for a fiance visa is that the couple must have met at least two years before filing for the visa. In addition to this, they must provide evidence of their meeting when filing a petition. This is done through an I-129F, which is available through the Department of State. Similar to other visa applications, background checks on these applicants must be conducted after their paperwork is completed.

The Process

It is important to know that when a petition for a fiance visa is approved, it does not necessarily mean that the visa will be granted to the fiance. Once the petition is approved, the fiance is required to go through an interview and medical examination in their own country. During the interview, several things about the fiance are assessed to determine if they should be allowed into the country. Some of these assessments can include:

  • If the fiance completed information about their fiance. This may include details about their family, past relationships or marriages, employment, etc.
  • If the fiance is interested in the citizen they wish to marry and are serious about the marriage.
  • If the fiance is a decent person of good moral character

During the interview for the visa, the fiance will be asked a series of questions that are required to be answered to determine their future status. This may include the following:

  • Their name
  • Where they were born
  • Their nationality
  • Their age
  • If they have ever been to the United States. If they have, what type of visa did they come on? How long and where did they stay?
  • If they have any relatives in the United States
  • If they have ever been married before or if they have any children

Contact our Firm

If you are looking to apply for a fiance visa and seek the guidance of an experienced attorney, contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC. today.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.