Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

What Are The Two Different Types Of Green Cards?

Often, my clients ask me what’s the difference between a 2-year Green Card and a 10-year Green Card, and sometimes they are very confused about why they have received a 2-year Green Card or some of their friends have received a 10-year Green Card. A 2-year Green Card is a conditional resident card, and in most cases, based on marriage, a conditional resident card is issued when the marriage that is the basis of the application is less than 2-years in duration when USCIS grants the Green Card status. Before your 2 years has finished, you may petition for your conditions to be removed in order to maintain your status as a permanent resident.

A 10-year Green Card is a permanent Green Card that is issued once the marriage is over 2-years in duration and there is no additional requirements on behalf of the applicants to prove the bona fides of their marriage. In addition to conditional residency due to a marriage, a person can also obtain conditional residency as an immigrant investor with an E-2 visa. The process to remove conditional residence is the application, the I-751 Petition, and must be filed within 90 days of the expiration of the card. Should you require assistance with the removal of conditional residence, please contact an immigration attorney.

If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters of immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC.