Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

What Will Happen if I Do Not Marry My Fiancé Within 90 Days of Entry Into the U.S.?

It is common for individuals to become citizens of the United States on the basis of marriage to an American citizen. These visas are known as K-1 visas. You will have to abide by the terms of the K-1 visa to stay in the United States. If you do not, you may face severe repercussions. One of the most important and time-sensitive aspects of these agreements is the requirement to marry the individual within 90 days of your entry into the United States. To learn more about what might happen if you fail to marry your partner within this timeframe, continue reading and speak with our New Jersey immigration attorney. Here are some questions you may have:

How can I obtain a fiance visa?

You will have to meet the following criteria to obtain a fiancé visa in the United States:

  • You must present proof that you have met your future spouse at least two years before filing for the fiancé visa. This can be proven with photographs, text messages, emails, and more.
  • You must present proof that after you enter the United States, you will not become a public charge by proving that your future spouse’s income meets or exceeds 100% of the United States poverty guidelines.
  • You must attend an interview, background check, and medical examination.

What happens if I do not get married within 90 days of entry?

There is a high probability that you will be denied your ability to enter the United States and become a United States citizen if you do not get married within 90 days of your entry into America. You are only granted admission into the states based on marrying the K-1 visa petitioner. If you fail to marry this individual within 90 days, you will likely be barred from the country.

However, in some cases, if you can prove that you did marry your spouse within 90 days, but you divorced afterward, you may pursue a green card without the need for assistance from your former spouse. It is important to understand that this is not always a given. It may be determined that you were marrying to gain entry into the United States.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this topic, do not hesitate to reach out to our New Jersey immigration attorney for assistance.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.