Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
apple with books

Can I be granted a student visa?

When individuals that live outside of the United States want to enter into the U.S. for schooling, they have the opportunity to apply for a student visa. With all the possibilities of colleges and universities in the U.S., these immigrants may be ecstatic at the chance to achieve a respected higher education.

Am I eligible for a student visa?

In order to be eligible for a student visa, individuals have to specify what kind of schooling they wish to undergo when entering the United States. There are two types of student visas. If you are planning on attending a university, college, high school, seminary, conservatory or private elementary school, you should apply for an F visa. If you are planning to attend a vocational or other non-academic institution, then you should apply for the M visa. These visas differentiate based on the institution you are planning to attend. This helps to categorize students based on the education they are intending to receive.

There are a few requirements needed to show that a student is eligible for a student visa. Before choosing which visa is appropriate, you must be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor program approved school. Then you will apply for the appropriate visa based upon your school preference. Through the I-20 form, you will choose either the M student visa or the F student visa.

When trying to obtain a student visa, there are specific places to go through the process. It can be requested through an embassy, consulate or even online. Once the application is completed, an interview will be scheduled to review more in-depth about your student visa. Some interviews may not be necessary based on the individual applying for the student visa. If the interviewee is under 13 years old or over 80 years old, they may not have to attend an interview session. However, this decision is based upon the consular officer. Each officer may have a different take on the matter and they may decide to do the interview anyway.

How do I prepare for the interview portion of the process?

Before attending the interview, it is important to gather the documents that are required to be presented at the meeting. These documents may include a passport that will be eligible for six months beyond the stay period, an application fee receipt, the I-20 form and a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1 visa. A photo of yourself may also be asked to be presented to prove your identity. A nonimmigrant visa application can also be viewed.

In addition to these documents, some interviewers would like to see documentation of your school history. This can include transcripts, diplomas, degrees or any certificates you may have received. Upon presentation of the documents and the conclusion of the interview, the interviewer will decide if the applicant is granted the visa that they desire to enter the U.S. for schooling. Once you are approved, you may have to pay fees and then you will have to wait to receive the visa.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.