Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Can I Leave the United States With a Green Card?

Become a permanent resident and obtaining a Green Card is a dream for many immigrants. However, if you have obtained your Green Card and wish to travel outside of the U.S. to see family, take a vacation, or for any other reason, you will have to follow a set of special rules. Please read on and reach out to our experienced New Jersey immigration attorney to learn more about leaving the U.S. with a Green Card. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What documents are necessary for leaving the U.S. with a Green Card?

All permanent residents who are looking to leave the United States must take various documents along to ensure a safe departure and re-admittance. Those documents can include a passport from your country of citizenship, or, if applicable, your refugee travel document that permits you to travel to a different country. It is also worth noting that in some cases, individuals must additionally obtain a visa to leave the United States.

Will I need certain documents to reenter the United States with a Green Card?

Before you are allowed to reenter the United States, you are required to show your Green Card to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer. After the officer reviews your Green Card and/or your U.S. driver’s license, passport, or foreign national I.D., you will be admitted back into the United States. Though this is generally a relatively simple process for individuals who have already obtained Green Cards, if you are stopped by an officer or are for some reason denied entrance into the U.S., you must speak with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as you can.

How long am I allowed to leave the United States with a Green Card?

Though in most cases, permanent residents can come and go as they please via Form I-131, there are certain instances in which you must be very careful about the time you stay away. For example, if you are waiting to become a naturalized citizen and you leave the country for more than 6 months at a time, you will most likely upset your continuous residency needed for naturalization. If you are having any difficulties with obtaining permanent residence, do not hesitate to speak with our knowledgeable legal team.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.