Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Are There Exceptions For The Naturalization Exam?

A person who applies for Naturalization normally must show that they can read, write, and speak English. There are exceptions for certain persons. If you are a permanent resident for at least 15 years and are over 55 years old, or have been a permanent resident for 20 years and are over 50 years old, then you will not be required to read, write, or speak English at your Naturalization examination. This exemption is known as the 50/20 exception. However, you do still need to pass the history and civics questions. Fortunately for you, those questions will be given to you in your native language. The person who acts as your interpreter in this situation must be completely fluent in both your native language and English. You do have to get the answers correct, though. If a person is above the age of 65 years old and has lived in the United States as a permanent resident for 20 years or more there may receive special considerations for your civics exam.

Those who have physical or mental disabilities can receive special accommodations to assist them in taking the naturalization test. You can request exceptions to the English and civics requirements due to your disability by having a licensed doctor or psychologist fill out the Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website provides those who plan on taking the naturalization examination with resources that can assist them in studying for the examination. If you need assistance with Naturalization, please contact an experienced immigration attorney.

If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters of immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC.