Here’s What You Need to Know About the Naturalization Process
The end goal for most immigrants here in the United States is to become naturalized citizens, for a number of reasons. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Lyndhurst naturalization law firm to learn more about what it takes to become a naturalized U.S. citizen and what we can do to help. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How do I know if I qualify for naturalization?
To become a naturalized United States citizen, you will have to meet the following qualities:
- You must prove you have been in the U.S. for at least 30 months out of the five years before you filed Form N-400
- You must have proof you’ve lived in your state or USCIS district for at least three months
- You must communicate in English
- You must be at least 18 years of age and a permanent resident of the U.S. for at least five years
- You must have good moral character
- You must have a basic knowledge of U.S. history and civics
- You must be committed to the principals and ideals of the United States Constitution
What happens once I become a United States citizen?
Once you become a United States citizen, you’ll get to reap all the benefits of citizenship while also partaking in some of the many responsibilities of being a U.S. citizen. Some of those rights and responsibilities are as follows:
- You can travel to and from the United States with a passport
- You can apply for federal jobs or become an elected official
- You will have the right to vote in our elections
- You may get some government benefits
- You can maintain residency in the United States
- You may bring some family members to the U.S.
- You may qualify for federal scholarships and grants
- You may be asked to participate in jury duty, which is a key part of upholding our democracy and ensuring justice prevails
If you have any questions about naturalization in the United States or believe you may qualify, please don’t hesitate to give us a call today. We are here to help you in any way we can.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.