Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
engaged couple hands

How Can I Get a Fiancé Visa in the United States?

If you are a U.S. citizen and you are engaged to a non-citizen, you are most likely looking to bring your fiance into the country, marry your fiance, and allow him or her to become a United States citizen. That being said, your fiance will have to obtain a K-1 visa, also known as a fiance visa. Once your fiance obtains a K-1 visa, you must marry your fiance within 90 days of him or her entering the country, and if you fail to do so, he or she will have to leave within 30 days. Our New Jersey immigration attorney is here to help you through every step of the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Do I qualify for a fiance visa?

To qualify for a K-1 visa in the United States, the most important thing you must prove is that you have known your future spouse for at least two years before filing. This is because there have been cases in the past where U.S. citizens marry others for the wrong reasons. That being said, you will have to prove when you met in an I-129F. After the completion of paperwork, a background check must be conducted.

What is the fiancé visa process like?

Once the visa is approved, the fiance will then have to go through a process wherein he or she must obtain a medical examination, as well as an interview, in their native country. The interview process is critical, because the consular will be determining whether your marriage is legitimate, and, therefore, whether you should be issued a K-1 visa. First, the consular will ask your foreign fiance information about your life to ensure that you two truly know each other, such as your family history, past marriages, employment, and more. They will also work to ensure that your foreign fiance is serious about the marriage and that they are someone of good moral character. They will ask them their name, age, whether they have ever been to the United States before, whether they have any relatives living in the United States, whether they have children, have ever been married before, and whether they will become a public charge at any point. This is all critical information, which is why if you are looking to receive a K-1 visa, you must retain the services of an experienced New Jersey immigration attorney as soon as possible.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.