Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
U.S. citizenship form

How Can Spouses or Children of U.S. Military Service Members Gain Citizenship?

Those who are spouses and children of U.S. citizen service members may qualify for expedited or overseas naturalization. This is a fantastic way for the spouses and children of those who serve our country to live bright, productive lives as United States citizens. If you believe you qualify, you must not wait. Please read on and reach out to our experienced immigration attorney to learn more about how we can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if I qualify for citizenship through a U.S. service member?

If you are the spouse of a U.S. service member who is either stationed abroad, or is going to be stationed abroad and you are seeking expedited or overseas naturalization, you will have to first meet several qualifications. To apply for naturalization under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, you must meet the following qualifications:

  • Your spouse must specifically authorize your company abroad
  • You must be 18 years or older
  • You have to prove that you can read, write, and speak basic English
  • You will have to prove that your spouse is a U.S. citizen who is either stationed or will be stationed abroad for at least one year
  • You must be of good moral character and prove that you are “attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and well-disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law”
  • You will have to be physically present in the U.S. when you are naturalized
  • You must demonstrate that you have a firm grasp of U.S. civics and history

How can a child of a U.S. military service member gain citizenship?

Children of U.S. service members may be eligible for overseas naturalization if they can meet the following requirements:

  • The child is under the age of 18
  • There is proof that the child has at least one parent who is a United States citizen, or that he or she had at least one parent who was a United States citizen at the time of their death
  • The child is currently residing outside of the United States in the physical and legal custody of a United States parent and service member

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.