Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
law balance scale

USCIS Now Charging Petitioning Employers Fees for H-1B Registration

USCIS has made an announcement stating that starting December 9, 2019, all petitioning employees must pay a $10 fee per H-1B registration. Many who opposed the ruling have cited reasons such as putting an unwarranted hardship on already struggling immigrant families. However, USCIS has made it clear that this fee only applies to employers, not those seeking employment. According to USCIS, the change comes so USCIS can “modernize and more efficiently process applications to live or work in the United States.”

Of the ruling, USCIS Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli said in a statement, “The electronic registration system is part of an agency-wide initiative to modernize our immigration system while deterring fraud, improving vetting procedures and strengthening program integrity.” If you think you or a loved one will qualify for an H-1B visa, please read on to learn more about the program and how we can help. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What is the H-1B program for?

The H-1B program’s primary function is to allow employers to hire certain nonimmigrants who work in “specialty occupations” through temporary work visas. To qualify, you must be an individual who meets certain criteria. H-1B visas are offered to certain individuals working in the fields of engineering, mathematics, health and medicine, biotechnology, education, law, and more. Once your H-1B visa is granted, you can work in the United States for three years, though at the end of your term, you may be eligible for another three years. However, if you leave your job or are fired, you will most likely have to leave the United States.

How do I apply for an H-1B visa?

To apply for an H-1B visa, you must go through several steps. First, your employer will submit LCA to DOL for certification. From here, the employer will file Form I-120, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, with the correct USCIS Service Center. Once the form is approved, the hopeful H-1B worker who is outside of the U.S. may apply with the U.S. Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad for the H-1B visa. Finally, the applicant will apply to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection for admission into the United States in H-1B classification. This may sound complicated, but our firm is ready to help you through the H-1B process, every step of the way. We are ready when you are.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.