Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

How to Obtain an I-601 Waiver

Many people from all around the world come to the United States in the hopes of finding a better life. Whether it’s to make a living or help support a loved one, the United States is a beacon of hope to so much of the world. While it is perhaps more challenging to legally enter the United States now than ever, if you are able to obtain an I-601 Waiver, you may be allowed to enter the country and continue the adjustment of your status.

What are some of the things that may prevent you from gaining access to a waiver?

There are several things that could deny your access to the United States, from communicable health diseases to criminal pasts. Here are some of the health issues that could prevent you from entering the United States:

  • Mental illness
  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Measles
  • Influenza
  • Meningococcal

In addition to these health conditions, a criminal history may very well also deny your access to the United States. Some of the criminal matters that may prevent you from entering the country are:

  • Homicide
  • Voluntary manslaughter
  • Rape
  • Domestic violence
  • Child abuse
  • Larceny
  • Drug crimes

How do I know if I am eligible for an I-601 waiver?

The primary means through which you will be able to obtain an I-601 waiver is by establishing extreme hardship. You can establish extreme hardship if:

  • You have an ill spouse or parent in the United States who needs care
  • You have a spouse or parent that needs financial support from your job in the United States
  • You have a spouse or parent with debts that need the support of your employment in the United States
  • You have a spouse or parent who is ill in need of your support

It will not be enough to just simply claim extreme hardship, however–you must first provide proof. You will need to gather personal statements from impacted family members, detailing what would happen to them in your absence. In addition, you may have to submit your own statement supporting their claim to verify they are telling the truth. To start the waiver process, you will have to file for the waiver in your own country, and this is known to be a time-consuming process. It should also be noted that if you are impacted by a 3 or 10-year bar, you need to consult with an attorney, as you are not automatically eligible to apply for a waiver.

Contact our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for an I-601 Waiver and wishes to speak with an attorney, contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC. today.


Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.