Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
apple with books

What is a Student Visa and How Can I Get One?

Many people from around the world would like to get an education here in the United States. If you’re a student looking to get an education in the U.S., you will either apply for an F or M visa. F visas are for students seeking an education in a university, college, or high school, while M visas are for people looking to attend vocational or other nonacademic institutions here in the U.S. Read on to learn more about how our Lyndhurst student visa lawyer can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if I’m eligible for a student visa?

First, yo will have to apply for and be accepted by a school that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. You will then file a Form I-20 and apply for the student visa of your choice. You can request this visa either online or through an embassy or consulate. Once you apply, you will schedule your interview. Our firm can help you prepare all the necessary documentation and get you ready for your interview.

What documents will I need to get a student visa?

You’ll need a wide range of documentation to obtain a student visa. Just some of the documents you may have to gather and present are as follows:

  • Your photo
  • A certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1
  • Form I-20
  • A passport that’s valid for at least 6 months past the period of stay
  • A Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • An application fee receipt

You will also likely need to bring any certificates, transcripts, diplomas, degrees, and other paperwork related to your academic history, such as your standardized test score, prove you have the means to pay for your education and other associated costs, and also prove that you will leave the country once your education concludes.

What happens at the interview?

You will attend an interview with a consular officer who will ask you various questions to determine whether you qualify for a student visa. Typically, you’ll be subject to a fingerprint scan as well. As long as you’re approved, you will pay the necessary fees and await the arrival of your visa.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.