Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
courthouse outside stairs

What to Know About Renewing a Green Card

Green cards are not permanent. Every 10 years green cards must be renewed. Filing the necessary paperwork to complete the renewal process can be complex. This is where our firm comes in. We are ready to help ensure you have everything you need to successfully apply for a green card renewal. To learn more about what you can do if your green card has recently expired or is set to expire within six months. Here are some questions you may have about the renewal process:

How can I have my green card renewed?

When you begin the renewal process, the first step you will take is to fill out the Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You have the option to file this document either online or on paper to be submitted through the mail. If you have a previous version of the alien registration card, you must replace it with a current green card as soon as possible. It is recommended to consult with an experienced attorney about doing so.

Can I renew a green card from outside of the United States?

If you are outside of the United States and are beginning the process of renewing your green card, consider the following:

  • If your green card expires within six months and you will return one year from the date of your departure from the United States, you will have to file for a renewal card upon your return.
  • If you have not applied for the renewal card before leaving the United States, you must immediately visit a U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or a U.S. port of entry. Once you have done so, you can then file your Form I-90 for a green card renewal.

What happens if my renewal application is denied?

If your application is denied, you cannot appeal the decision. However, you can oftentimes file a motion to report or reconsider with the office that determined you are ineligible for renewal. For assistance with this matter, reach out to an experienced Lyndhurst green card immigration lawyer. It is recommended that you retain the services of an attorney because this motion must have new information that supports a reexamination of the decision. Your attorney will assist you in obtaining, collecting, and presenting the necessary evidence to prove that the decision to deny your application was based on an incorrect application of the law.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.