Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
apple with books

What’s the difference between an F and M student visa?

Individuals that live outside of the United States may be eligible to enter into the U.S. for schooling. Before entering the country, they will have to go through the process of obtaining a student visa. By filling out an I-20 form, you will choose either the M student visa or the F student visa. The M visa is for those wishing to attend a vocational or other non-academic institution. The F visa is for individuals looking to attend a university, college, high school, seminary, conservatory or private elementary school. With one of these student visas, individuals will be able to enter the country and receive the education they hoped for. This can benefit the future of the individual and expose them to a new culture with various opportunities.

Who is eligible for a student visa?

There are a few requirements that are needed to show that an aspiring student is eligible for a student visa. Before choosing whether the M or F visa is appropriate, you must be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor program approved school. Then you will apply for the appropriate visa based upon your school preference. When trying to obtain a student visa, there are specific places to go through the process. Visas can be requested through an embassy, consulate or even online. Once the application is completed, an interview will be scheduled to review more in-depth information regarding your student visa approval.

How do I prepare for the interview portion of the process?

Before attending the interview, it is vital to gather documents that must be presented at the meeting. These documents can include a passport that will be eligible for six months beyond the stay period, an application fee receipt, the I-20 form and a certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1 visa. A photo of yourself may also be required to prove your identity. A nonimmigrant visa application can also be asked to review.

Some interviewers would like to see documentation of your school history. This can include transcripts, diplomas, degrees or any certificates you may have received. Some interviews may not be necessary based on the individual applying for the student visa. If the interviewee is under 13 years old or over 80 years old, they may be excused from having to attend an interview session. However, this decision is based upon the consular officer’s final call.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.