Immigration scams can be seen in many different ways and it is important to be aware of common scams, how to avoid them, and how to report them.
Common scams are listed below:
- Executive Action – Expanded DACA, DAPA, or the Expanded provisional waiver are not being accepted at this time – if you are offered help to submit these applications before available it is a scam.
- “Notarios Pùblicos” – In many Spanish-speaking nations “notarios” are powerful attorneys, but in the U.S. notaries are people who perform duties such as witnessing the signing of documents. If someone states that they are a “notario público” that does not mean they are authorized to provide you with legal services.
- Payments by Phone or Email- Western Union or PayPal as payment its not accepted. Fees will never be asked to be paid by phone or email. You can pay some immigration fees online ONLY if you use myUSCIS. You will never be asked to pay to download forms.
- Winning the Visa Lottery- The State Department will never email you about being selected in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.
- Scam websites- Websites claim to be affiliated with USCIS. Make sure information is from uscis.gov and the web address includes .gov.
- Job Offers- Emails received about suspicious job offers by email before you leave your country to the U.S. is most likely scam. You are not allowed to work in the U.S. unless you are a lawful permanent resident and have authorized documents or permits or have an employment-related visa.
- Scams Targeting Students- If you are a student looking to study in the U.S. make sure you are applying to a SEVP-Certified school.
If you have received a suspicious email, forward to the USCIS Webmaster email box. If you have witnessed immigration scams, report it to the Federal Trade Commission by calling 877-FTC-HELP, or you can file a complaint online; and
Report it to your local or state authorities.
If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance.