Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
U.S. citizenship form

Can I acquire naturalization to become a citizen?

When immigrants come to America, they seek circumstances that are better than what they were previously exposed to. Whether it involves a desired job or starting their own family, immigrants want to feel at home in a new country. In order to do so, they will need to acquire citizenship. This can be a truly exciting time in your life. If you are an immigrant seeking citizenship, contact an attorney to find out more about your options. You may be a good candidate for naturalization based on your ties to the United States.

Naturalization allows for immigrants to become citizens of the United States. This will allow you to gain all the rights that any other American citizen has. Your goal of achieving citizenship can become one step closer when you reach out to our professional legal team to guide you through the process.

What is required for naturalization?

There are a variety of requirements that immigrants must meet to become naturalized and be considered a citizen of the U.S. For some, they can meet the requirement of living in the U.S. for the past five years with a permanent residence status. Another option allows for immigrants to have lived in the country for four years due to the need for asylum. If neither of these seem to fit your situation, there are more ways to qualify. If you have lived in the U.S. for three years as a spouse to a U.S. citizen, then you are eligible to apply for naturalization. Also, if you have lived in the U.S. for three years, are a lawful permanent resident and have served in the military, you have the opportunity to apply for citizenship as well.

With a few options available, it can cause a hopeful feeling for a future in the United States. There are a few ways for immigrants to pursue the American Dream.

Do I need to take any further steps?

After you have become aware of which option you fulfill, you will need to go through a process in order to become naturalized. This will require a few steps before you are named a citizen of the U.S. You will need to satisfy a residential and physical presence. For this step, you will need to prove that you have a continuing presence in the U.S. in the form of residential status. It is important to remember that any absences from the country for six months or more can cause a major disruption with your continuing residency. However, if you can prove with evidence that you did not abandon your residence during this period of time, then you may be eligible still.

The next step will examine your moral character. Officials want to see that you demonstrate a good moral character. In order to prove this, they will look at your records of arrest. You cannot be convicted of a crime that involves murder, rape, assault or robbery. This will show that you go against the norms of society and are not a good candidate for citizenship. Many crimes involving drugs can also impact your eligibility. If you have been involved in criminal matters, it is best to contact an attorney to learn about the reality that you are facing.

Another requirement is to provide knowledge of the English language, U.S. history, government and to establish loyalty to the U.S. However, there can be some exceptions. If you are 50 years old or older and have lived in the country for over 20 years or are 55 years old and have lived in the country for over 15 years, you can be exempt from the English language requirement. You still have to pass the civics test, but may do so in your native language.

Once these formalities are complete, you can demonstrate your loyalty to the United States by taking an oath of allegiance in a ceremony. At this ceremony, you will officially become a citizen of the country.

Our firm understands how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.