Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Can I travel outside the U.S. After Applying Or Receiving A Green card?

Traveling outside the U.S. after applying for a green card or getting your green card can be difficult unless you make sure you have completed the correct documents. Form I-131 is the Application for Travel Document that is used to apply for three types of travel documents.

The three types of travel documents are: 

  • Advance Parole –  This document is used to authorize temporary parole of a person into the United States, it is most commonly used when someone has Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, pending.
    • May be accepted by a transportation company
    • Does not replace your passport
    • If you are a asylum applicant with a pending 1-589 and intend on traveling outside the U.S. you must apply for and receive advance parole.
    • Advance parole does not guarantee reentry to the U.S.
  • Refugee Travel Document – This document is issued to a person who has been granted refugee or asylum status, or permanent resident who obtained a green card because they were a refugee or asylee.
    • If you are these status’ you must obtain a refugee travel document before leaving the U.S.
    • If you do not obtain one you may not be allowed to re-eneter the U.S.
  • Re-Entry Permit – This permit allows a permanent or conditional resident to apply for admission to the U.S. upon returning from abroad during the permit’s validity.
    • This is without having to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or consulate
    • Permanent or conditional residents should apply for a re-entry permit if they will be outside the U.S. for one year or more.

If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters of immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC.