Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption
husband wife wedding

Removing Conditions on a Green Card for Marriage

When a permanent resident obtains their status through marriage, they are often issued a two-year Green Card and are considered a conditional resident. This is typically for marriages that took place less than two years from the date permanent resident status was issued. The reason that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services agency places conditions on individuals with marriage-based permanent resident status is to ensure that the marriage is legitimate and not just as a way into the United States. Individuals with permanent resident conditions must apply to have the conditions removed 90 days before the end of the two-year period, using Form I-751.

The eligibility criteria to have conditions removed from a marriage-based permanent resident card include the following:

  • The marriage that brought the individual to the United States is still intact after two years
  • The individual is a widow or widower who entered the marriage in good faith
  • The marriage was entered in good faith but the marriage ended through divorce or annulment
  • The marriage was entered in good faith but the U.S. spouse was abusive

If you have questions about conditional permanent residency, contact our firm today.

We understand how much is on the line when clients face matters related to immigration. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters regarding immigration, please contact the Law Offices of Salvatore A. Falletta, LLC and we would be happy to provide you with assistance. Our firm is located in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.